pick_me

12/07/2007

Then and Now Minerva Amaryllis

I bought my Minerva Amaryllis at the beginning of October. It came as an amaryllis kit from Lowes. I have never had Amaryllises before so this is my very first. I can't wait to see it flower. When it does I think I might be addicted!

When I purchased this is what it looked like.

amaryllis
Newly planted Minerva Amaryllis


I waited so patiently think that it would burst into growth just as fast as the box said. Mine did not grow that fast.
late october amaryllis
This is what it looked like at the beginning of November.


Still patiently waiting for the amaryllis to grow at the beginning of November. I was getting very suspicious of a dud or an error on my part. It had become far greener. I was so curious one day I took the bulb out to see if it had even grown roots. It had just a few.

amaryllis growth
Finally November 16 there is some growth.

Higher and Higher
December 1st I can clearly see it is growing!

Today what a burst
This was taken today! Look how much it has grown. That is not all this amaryllis has a surprise.
Two Amaryllis
That is right a little one is sprouting next to it. I only had one bulb with no offset. So I was surprised to see a little one next to it. The little one has been growing right along with the bigger Amaryllis.

3 comments:

Robin's Nesting Place said...

Your amaryllis are much farther along than mine are. I should have planted them sooner. I cant wait to see the blooms!

Digital Flower Pictures said...

I really like the flowers on Amaryllis, so bold and powerful.

I have never seen a little one like that growing on the side. Do keep us posted as to what happens.

Wicked Gardener said...

I can grow amarylis in the ground where I live, but I didn't get any this year. Don't know why - they are so pretty!