pick_me

11/16/2007

Lemon Balm Then and Now

I'm going to be doing a then and now series. I have several things that have burst with growth. Others have recovered from whatever ailed them. While others have started to dwindle.

Today I'll start with my Lemon Balm. This was one of the plants I ordered from Hazzard's Greenhouse and was very disappointed in. It came all yellow and brown on the edges. I'm not sure what was wrong with it. Possibly the shipping was too harsh on it.

So this was then a few days after I received my Lemon Balm

bad lemon balm
Lemon Balm


I didn't give up hope on the pitiful thing. I plucked off the icky leaves and watered it with love. Now look at it.
lemon balm
lemon balm
lemon balm


Lemon Balm is a perennial herb in the mint family. I had no idea of this when I got it. I love mints and have grown to love the lemon balm scent. Like it's name it's lemon and has a nice minty tang to it. I have yet to use it for tea. The weather is starting to grow nippy so I'm sure I will. I've heard that the crushed leaves are good to repel mosquitoes. It also has antibacterial properties and relieves stress.

6 comments:

David (Snappy) said...

You have green fingers.I love the way you have revived the plant with some TLC.I like plants that have fragrant leaves.I have a lemon scented geranium I brought back from Mums.It looks very ropey but the leaves still smell gorgeous!

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Hi Vanillalotus!

Good job on the Lemon Balm. Sometimes it takes a little while to recover from shipping.

Be careful about planting mints in the garden. They can enjoy explosive and rampant growth.

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

How neat to see how your revived the lemon balm. It's very forgiving. Have you tried it on pan-seared chicken breasts? It's so yummy! Cindy at Rosehaven Cottage

Anonymous said...

Dear Vanillalotus,
May I ask if you did anything else besides water it to revive the lemon balm?
Mine started out as your looks now, but now, it looks like when you received it - pink, pale and with brown edges on the leaves :(
Very upsetting. Would appreciate any tips. I live in Singapore where it is hot and humid.

Thank you,
Divenut

Priscilla George said...

Divenut- I did nothing to the lemon balm besides water it and maybe fertilize it a bit but just primarily water it. Don't worry it will look better before you know it...trust me.

Anonymous said...

Hi Vanillalotus,
Thanks for the advice. Have been watering and repotted the plant too. It improved and the new leaves are more green, but many leaves have these dark brown edges, even the small ones.
Will persevere.
Thanks again,
Divenut